In Tantra, there are ten categories of actions (Karmas) that a mantra can accomplish. These ten categories cover all aspects of human desires, good and bad and include all the ways that mantra can be used.
The intensions of the Mantra worshipper or "Mantra Shadak" are his or her responsibility. One must thus be clear about why one picks up this tool of Mantra meditation. Good or bad Karmas are categorized according to the effect they create inside and outside the individual, who should be prepared to acknowledge responsibility for the same.
1. Shanti (Peaceful) Karma: Mantra that makes one free from disease, psychological problems, fears, illusions and worldly and environmental troubles; and mantra done without any desire for reward, power or attachment.
2. Istambhan Karma: Mantra used to stop the movement of any living thing or inanimate object in nature.
3. Mohan Karma: Mantra used to attract a man, woman or animal. Mesmerism and hypnotism come under this category. Also known as SAMMOHAN.
4. Uchchatan Karma: Mantra used to disturb the mental equilibrium of any living being. Such a mantra increase doubt, uncertainty, fear and delusion in the person on whom the same is directed.
5. Vashikaran Karma: Mantra used to enslave somebody. The one on whom the mantra is used, loses his own discrimination and will power and become like a puppet. Vashikaran means controlling the consciousness of the one on whom the mantra is used. (Vash = control, karan = doing.)
6. Akarshan Karma: Mantra used to attract somebody who is living at a distant place.
7. Jrambhan Karma: Mantra used to change behavior patterns so that the one on whom the mantra is used starts acting the way the one using the mantra.
8. Vidweshan Karma: Mantra used to create opposition between two individuals. This kind of mantra creates anger, hatred, jealousy and aggression in both individuals towards each other. With others, their behavior remain as usual; it only changes with the one whom the user of the mantra chooses and the result is animosity.
9. Maran Karma: Mantra used to kill somebody. This kind of use of mantra brings instantaneous death without any physical ailment of disorder.
10. Pushti Karma: Mantra used to increase one's own or another's wealth, name, fame, goodwill, social status, power etc. Also known as Paustik.